Team led by Muslim cleric to tour country to pitch Didi as PM face
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Chandrababu Naidu's TDP back in NDA, ties up with BJP for polls
- Narendra Modi not my protege, a brilliant events manager: L K Advani
- Pakistan bike-snatchers turned terrorists for IMâs âjihad liteâ
- Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran holds AAP govt Reliance FIR illegal
- ICC Twenty20 final preview: On cupâs cusp
A five-member team, led by Shahi Imam of Tipu Sultan Masjid Syed Md Nurur Rahman Barkati, is set to go on a countrywide trip to push anti-Congress, anti-BJP regional parties to form a Third Front and project Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee as the prime ministerial candidate.
"Mamata had called me and said she was expecting to win at least 38 seats in the next Lok Sabha elections and that she would need the rest of the seats to meet the magic figure of 272 to form the government at the Centre. For that, the team would visit the length and breadth of the country. We would pay special attention to UP, Chennai and Bihar," Barkati told The Sunday Express, adding they would tell other regional parties that while the Congress was riddled with corruption, BJP was a strict communal force and both the parties would lead to a misrule.
"So, the only alternative would be a Third Front comprising regional parties. The Prime Minister is involved in so many scams, such as the 2G and the Coalgate scams, but he has gone scot-free. Even finance minister P Chidambaram is not free from corruption. They have manipulated the CBI as well and spent a lot of money which has resulted in the price rise of essential commodities. On the other hand, BJP is responsible for Babri Masjid demolition and other communal riots. There cannot be a better alternative than Mamata who is known for her honesty and austerity," Barkati said.
He said Idris Ali, chairman of All India Minority Forum, would be another member of the team whereas other three members of the team were yet to be decided. "I will lead the team. There will be a formal announcement on December 16 and we will leave as soon as possible," Barkati added.
- Ram temple matter of faith for BJP; focus on development issues: Uma Bharti
- Congress policies promoting growth of communal forces: Sitaram Yechury
- All Muslim bodies supporting Congress: Chidambaram
- No alliance with Congress in 5 assembly seats: Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Urban areas forgotten as campaigners focus on villages
- AAP tea vendor to take on BJP actor from Ahmedabad East
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death