Teen among four arrested for security guard’s murder
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
Police on Sunday arrested four persons, including a 17-year-old for allegedly murdering a Kalyan resident after he stopped his neighbour from trying to rape a minor on Friday night.
The teenager is the main accused who was picked up from Kalyan on Sunday morning and charged with murder, police said. A separate case of molestation was later registered against him.
According to Mahatma Phule police, the accused was picked up from Bhiwandi Bypass Road. The accused, along with five others, allegedly lay in wait for Haji Abdul Sheikh (33) as he returned home from work. Sheikh, a security guard, had reportedly slapped the accused two days earlier when he tried to rape a minor.
"The accused was charged with murder and criminal conspiracy," said an officer.
On Sunday afternoon, the 11-year-old girl whom the accused had allegedly tried to rape visited the police station with her father. While they had been reluctant to report the matter so far, Sheikh's killing changed their mind. The girl then recorded her statement.
"We have registered a separate complaint of molestation under section 354 of the Indian Penal Code. It would be too early to comment on whether there is a link between these cases," inspector Manoj Nerlekar said.
Police had earlier arrested Shamsuddin Sheikh (22) for the murder. By Sunday night, they arrested the rest — Jameer Kadar Shaikh, Sameer Sayyed, Subhash Malbari and Sumit Prajapati.