Teen among four arrested for security guard’s murder
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
Police on Sunday arrested four persons, including a 17-year-old for allegedly murdering a Kalyan resident after he stopped his neighbour from trying to rape a minor on Friday night.
The teenager is the main accused who was picked up from Kalyan on Sunday morning and charged with murder, police said. A separate case of molestation was later registered against him.
According to Mahatma Phule police, the accused was picked up from Bhiwandi Bypass Road. The accused, along with five others, allegedly lay in wait for Haji Abdul Sheikh (33) as he returned home from work. Sheikh, a security guard, had reportedly slapped the accused two days earlier when he tried to rape a minor.
"The accused was charged with murder and criminal conspiracy," said an officer.
On Sunday afternoon, the 11-year-old girl whom the accused had allegedly tried to rape visited the police station with her father. While they had been reluctant to report the matter so far, Sheikh's killing changed their mind. The girl then recorded her statement.
"We have registered a separate complaint of molestation under section 354 of the Indian Penal Code. It would be too early to comment on whether there is a link between these cases," inspector Manoj Nerlekar said.
Police had earlier arrested Shamsuddin Sheikh (22) for the murder. By Sunday night, they arrested the rest — Jameer Kadar Shaikh, Sameer Sayyed, Subhash Malbari and Sumit Prajapati.
Sheikh used to work as a security guard at a mall and was a gym instructor in Kalyan. He is survived by his wife and two children.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer