Teen performer at Obama inauguration shot dead in Chicago
- After slamming govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Modi at 7RCR
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at Centre, says MHA notification politically motivated
- Death toll climbs to 1412 as intense heat wave continues
- India wanted Bofors remark of President retracted: Swedish daily
- Extra-Constitutional authorities were really wielding power in UPA: PM
A 15-year-old majorette who performed at some of President Barack Obama's recent inauguration festivities has been shot dead in Chicago.
Police said Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back Tuesday in a South Side park and died at a city hospital. Authorities saidHadiya was one of about 12 teenagers sheltering from heavy rain under a canopy when a man jumped a fence, ran toward the group and opened fire. The man fled the scene in a vehicle. No arrests have been made.
Police do not believe Hadiya was the intended target of the shooting. A teenage boy was shot in the leg. Hadiya belonged to the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events in Washington DC.