Teen performer at Obama inauguration shot dead in Chicago
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- IPL 7: Yuvraj Singh roars back to form
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
A 15-year-old majorette who performed at some of President Barack Obama's recent inauguration festivities has been shot dead in Chicago.
Police said Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back Tuesday in a South Side park and died at a city hospital. Authorities saidHadiya was one of about 12 teenagers sheltering from heavy rain under a canopy when a man jumped a fence, ran toward the group and opened fire. The man fled the scene in a vehicle. No arrests have been made.
Police do not believe Hadiya was the intended target of the shooting. A teenage boy was shot in the leg. Hadiya belonged to the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events in Washington DC.
- ‘Maintain birth data; see how many go to school after 5 years’
- A nun-lawyer’s habit starts court dress code debate in Delhi
- They have not voted for 10 years
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- State registers 61 pc voter turnout in phase II
- India to pay Russia for arms, ammo it sells to Afghanistan