Teen who set self on fire after rape dies
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Plea to vote for âsecular partyâ splits Bollywood
- âWe gave instant justice, todayâs youth canât stand up for their mothersâ
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Biggest phase of voting kicks off across 121 seats in 12 states
A 16-year-old orphan in Orissa's Rayagada district, who immolated herself after being gangraped by four people including a juvenile early this month, died in a hospital in Andhra Pradesh on Tuesday.
The girl who immolated herself on January 3 was admitted to Care hospital in Vishakhapatnam on January 7. "She died of severe burn injuries and lung infection," said Rayagada SP Rajesh Pandit, quoting hospital sources in Vishakhapatnam. The girl had suffered over 80 per cent burns and was put on ventilator three days ago.
The girl was allegedly gangraped on the outskirts of Rayagada town on January 2 when she was returning after finishing work in a photocopy shop. The four youths allegedly drugged her and raped her. The girl, who lived with her grandmother and other relatives, earned Rs 1,500 a month.
Unable to bear the humiliation, she set herself on fire the next morning and admitted to the Rayagada district headquarters hospital.
The Rayagada SP said all the four have been arrested. He said the 17-year-old accused would be tried under Juvenile Justice Act.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18