Teen who set self on fire after rape dies
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
A 16-year-old orphan in Orissa's Rayagada district, who immolated herself after being gangraped by four people including a juvenile early this month, died in a hospital in Andhra Pradesh on Tuesday.
The girl who immolated herself on January 3 was admitted to Care hospital in Vishakhapatnam on January 7. "She died of severe burn injuries and lung infection," said Rayagada SP Rajesh Pandit, quoting hospital sources in Vishakhapatnam. The girl had suffered over 80 per cent burns and was put on ventilator three days ago.
The girl was allegedly gangraped on the outskirts of Rayagada town on January 2 when she was returning after finishing work in a photocopy shop. The four youths allegedly drugged her and raped her. The girl, who lived with her grandmother and other relatives, earned Rs 1,500 a month.
Unable to bear the humiliation, she set herself on fire the next morning and admitted to the Rayagada district headquarters hospital.
The Rayagada SP said all the four have been arrested. He said the 17-year-old accused would be tried under Juvenile Justice Act.