Tehelka sexual assault case: Tarun Tejpal undergoes medical tests
- Malaysian plane crashes off Vietnam coast; 5 Indians on board
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
A day after he was sent to police custody for six days, Tehelka founder and former editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal was on Monday taken to Goa Medical College Hospital for mandatory sexual potency test by the police under the new rape Law. He was brought to the hospital at 9 am for a series of other medical tests, including a blood test.
Tejpal will be taken to the Grand Hyatt hotel in Goa were the alleged incident took place on Tuesday for reconstruction of the crime scene. The Tehelka editor will also be taken to the Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour in Bambolin to ascertain his mental health.
Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting a junior colleague in the lift of a Goa hotel on November 7-8, was on Sunday remanded into police custody for six days by a Goa court. Following the court's order, he was taken to the Crime Branch office in Dona Paula where he was interrogated through the day.
In another development, Tejpal's lawyer has filed an application to allow for a fan outside his cell.
The sources said later a court will hear whether he can be provided with a fan while in police custody.
Following his arrest on Saturday, Tejpal had to spend the night with seven accused in the Panaji police station lock-up, the oldest in Goa. The cell is a small room with no ventilation.
Tejpal entered the lock-up around 2.30 am, after his check-up at the Goa Medical College Hospital. "The only thing he asked for were newspapers, to spread and sleep," said a senior official.
(With PTI inputs)
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today