Telangana: Chiranjeevi writes to Sonia, seeks acceptance of his resignation as minister
- Malaysia signals missing plane carrying 239 including 5 Indians has crashed
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions over selected candidates and seat sharing
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
Actor-turned-politician K Chiranjeevi has now written to Congress president Sonia Gandhi, seeking the acceptance of his resignation as Union Tourism Minister over the issue of bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh for the creation of Telangana.
According to reports, Chiranjeevi has defied the protocol by writing directly to Sonia Gandhi instead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Chiranjeevi, who has already made his anti-Telangana stand clear, has written in his letter that he is "pained with the sequence of events in the process of bifurcation" of Andhra Pradesh. He further alleged that the aspirations of people hailing from Seemandhra region have not been considered.
This move comes over two months after the actor-turned-politician had sent his resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh through a fax.
The united-Andhra supporters have often demanded that Chiranjeevi quit his post to mount pressure on the Congress leadership towards halting the division of Andhra Pradesh.