Telangana statehood: What Andhra Pradesh minus Hyderabad means
- Monsoon arrives over the coast of Kerala
- Can hold Lok Sabha, all state polls at once: ECI to Law Ministry
- Hillary claims Democratic nomination, Bernie says fight will continue
- Mathura Violence: More than 5,000 trees destroyed, environmentalists demand action against culprits
- Five states, one script: Congress leaders do not listen
The people of Telangana will count themselves winners after five-decade-long struggle, but many of their neighbours will be crestfallen.
The reason is the eventual severance of Hyderabad from Andhra Pradesh. The capital is the jewel in the crown, an information technology hub and a city that hosts the vibrant Telugu film industry.
Politicians, industrialists and realtors from Andhra Pradesh's two other regions, and those in the film industry, are among those who will be disappointed. They have a lot at stake in and around Hyderabad, and their fear is that the Telangana government will seek to take their properties over or cancel the acquisitions. Many of the properties in Hyderabad are alleged to have been acquired dubiously, or at throwaway prices because of government largesse.
The list of those who own prime property and have invested hugely in Hyderabad includes Congress, TDP and YSR Congress MPs and MLAs, film stars, bankers, hoteliers, doctors, academicians and builders.
TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu and his family own the Heritage Foods chain with many outlets and properties in Hyderabad. Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy owns property all over the city and its outskirts, including buildings and printing presses and studios of the Sakshi Telugu newspaper and channel. The Congress MP from Vijayawada, Lagadapati Rajagopal, owns huge plots in Hyderabad and on its fringes, including in Lanco Hills where he has a high-end housing project. He said recently he stands to lose a lot if Telangana is formed.
- RS polls controversy in Karnataka is an opportunity to bring crucial electoral reforms
- Criminal defamation law is often abused and the process itself becomes a punishment
- Censorship continues, Shyam Benegal Committee report doesn't help matter
- West Bengal results point a strategy of communal polarisation enacted by the TMC and BJP
- To be Ali's real follower, one needs a lifetime of climbing mountains
- Questions From Mathura violence