Telengana issue: Centre convenes all party meet to know views afresh
- Shiv Sena hits out at BJP, asks it to follow "alliance dharma"
- US court dismisses Devyani Khobragade's indictment in visa fraud case
- CBI chief for closing Lalu cases, director of prosecution doesnât agree
- Ditched by Anna, Mamata rallies â around herself
- AAPâs existence a miracle of Bhagwan, Allah: Kejriwal at Mumbai road show
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde has invited two representatives from each party to know their views afresh on the Telangana issue in New Delhi today.
Representatives from eight major political parties from Andhra Pradesh are likely to attend the meeting.
The meeting is likely to bring out the views of all parties on the demand to create a separate Telangana state.
The four-decade-old demand for Telangana, which is to be carved out of the economically less developed part of Andhra Pradesh, gathered momentum after the Congress party ruled government accepted the demand in principle.
So far, 33 Congress, Telugu Desam Party (TDP), Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), Praja Rajyam Party and Independent lawmakers hailing from the Telangana region have resigned from parliament and the Andhra State Assembly.
The demand for the separate state has seen violent protests and political power play, with more than 300 people killed between 1969 and 1972.
Several protests and shutdowns had brought Andhra Pradesh to a near halt in 2009 and 2010 as pro- Telangana activists persisted with their demand.