Temperature drops in North; 3 die in UP
- Elections 2014 LIVE: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra continues to target Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR strike at regular intervals against CSK in IPL 7
Cold wave claimed three more lives in Uttar Pradesh even as temperature in most parts of Northern plains shot up by a few notches giving relief to the people who welcomed harvest festivals, which mark the onset of spring in the region.
Residents of Delhi experienced a warm day with the minimum and maximum temperatures remaining two notches above normal. While the maximum in the national capital settled at 22.9 degree Celsius, the minimum was recorded at 9.4 deg C.
With three more deaths due to the harsh weather, toll in Uttar Pradesh touched 265 this season.
One person each was reported to have died in Gonda, Hamirpur and Ghaziabad districts.
However, temperature in the state rose by few degrees.
Nights have been warmer during the last few days and the weather has become dry due to a fall in humidity.
Lowest minimum temperature in the state was 4.6 deg C at Gorakhpur.
Temperatures across Kashmir Valley rose for the second consecutive day today.
The minimum temperature in the summer capital Srinagar rose by more than a degree to settle at 1.6 deg C against the previous night's 0.4 deg C. This was a jump of over five notches in the last two days, a Met Department spokesman said today.
The temperatures had risen yesterday after fresh snowfall in the Valley.
The minimum night temperature in hill resort Pahalgam in south Kashmir went up by almost two notches.
Famous skiing resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir was a degree warmer at minus 4.2 deg C.
The resort had received over five inches of snowfall yesterday.
Night temperature also increased in Leh town in Ladakh where the minimum settled at minus 10.2 deg C as against minus 12.6 deg C the previous night.
While, Lohri is being celebrated in across Punjab, Haryana and Delhi and some other parts of North, Makar Sankranti festivities will begin tomorrow in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'