- Assam woman who attended Rahul event dies of burn injuries, police say she's not the one who kissed him
- Kaushambi to Kanpur: Arvind Kejriwal kicks off three-day UP yatra
- State Forest Dept guest house is police custody for Sahara chief Subrata Roy
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade
- Sorry to kill a great story, thereâs no Hercule Parrot
Tendulkar milestonesThe hype surrounding each landmark may be doing disservice to the master, and to cricket
Sachin Tendulkar has played 198 Test matches, making 15,837 runs — a good 30 Tests and 2,459 runs more than the second best in the list, the retired Australian cricketer Ricky Ponting. Technically, each run Tendulkar scores and each minute he spends on the field is a record, and it has been that way for a while now. While that may be a phlegmatic way of looking at things, the Board of Control for Cricket in India appears to have swung to the other extreme.
The last few years have seen Tendulkar feted for a series of milestones — his 25 years in the game, the 100th ton and now the hubbub over his 200th Test and its venue. The financial implications of hosting a Test series at home — the SA tour is in the process of being truncated to fit in a two-Test WI series, especially so Tendulkar can play his bicentennial Test in India — leave alone one designed to whip up public and corporate interest, will not be lost on the BCCI.