Teresa awards given away
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7: Maxwell, Miller lead KXIP to stunning win
Dr Sima Samar, a human and women's rights activist, and Pakistani education and women's activist Malala Yousafzai were among the many that received Mother Teresa International Award for Social Justice instituted by Harmony Foundation, this year.
The awards ceremony was held at Grand Hyatt hotel in Kalina on Wednesday. "I see a growing positive trend in Afghanistan. The number of women coming forward to make themselves heard is increasing every year," said Dr Samar, former deputy PM and minister of women's affairs of Afghanistan.
She is chairperson of Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC). Dr Samar said she was aware of the fact that many women in India diligently follow the burqa system, but said the burqa in Afghanistan was enforced.
She said AIHRC received 4,000 complaints of domestic violence this year alone. "I have had many honours in my life, but few can compare with presenting this award to a woman who I am absolutely sure will go on to become president of Afghanistan one day. She symbolises the spirit of liberation and indomitable courage," said Congress leader Mani Shankar Iyer.
Malala was unable to attend the ceremony as she is still recovering from a near-fatal attack by the Taliban earlier this year.
Her father sent this message, "This award means a lot to us, especially during this time of crisis. I regret I could not come personally, I need to be at Malala's side. She sends her thanks to all her Indian friends."
On Malala's behalf the award was accepted Sevy Ali, a British film producer of Pakistani origin. IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt of Gujarat was given a special award, as were several NGOs working in various fields.
- ‘We were in a bit of trouble initially but AB came in and he steadied the ship’
- Cops claim body was lifted from crime scene within 20 mins, family says it’s a lie
- After opening loss CSK face resurgent Daredevils
- Kirsten has given me new insight, says Coulter-Nile
- Nomination filed, the other Manpreet Badal goes missing
- M&M keep it sweet for punjab