Tezaab financier Dinesh Gandhi among 7 killed in Mumbai fire
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Film financier and diamond merchant Dinesh Vasant Gandhi, 65, and his wife, Devyani, 65, were among those killed in the fire in the Mont Blac building at Kemps Corner on Friday.
Their domestic helps, Bhairav, 50, and Chotu, 17, were also killed.
The remaining three victims have been identified as Chitaranjan Ramchandra Das, 39, Sumita Shigwan, 45, and Ajay Singh, 40. While Das and Shigwan worked as domestic helps, Singh was a security guard of the building.
Gandhi is reported to have financed over 15 films, including Tezaab, Hum Se Badkar Kaun and Bezubaan, long before studios started putting in the money. While both Bezubaan and Hum Se Badkar Kaun were made by producer Pranlal Mehta, it was during the shooting of Bezubaan that Gandhi met producer-director N Chandra.
"He wasn't in cinema for the money. He did not care about the budget. He gave me a free hand during the shooting of Tezaab, recalled Chandra, who directed the film starring Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit
"There was a time when people started poisoning his mind and telling him not to trust his money with a producer like me who was making his first film with big stars. But he trusted the people he worked with and didn't go back on his word," Chandra added.
The fire is reported to have broken out after a short circuit on the 12th floor. "Mrs Gandhi had gone downstairs for her usual evening walk, after which she took the lift to go to her flat. She was accompanied by a security guard, Ajay Singh, who was manning the lift. They must have reached the 12th floor when the power went out because of the fire alarm, and both got caught in the blaze," said a security guard of the building.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express