Thane girl finds place in 'Discovery of Education' newsletter
- BJP manifesto pledges good governance, talks of constructing Ram Temple, abrogating Article 370
- Elections 2014 LIVE: In Haryana, Modi takes a dig at Rahul over Vadra land dealings
- Coal block scam: CVC Pradeep Kumar recuses himself from SC probe panel
- Chandrababu Naidu's TDP back in NDA, joins hands with BJP
- Lok Sabha elections: 41 pc polling in Tripura till noon
Tribal girl Jayshree Kharpade, who hogged the limelight for her documentary on the life of children of brick kiln workers, has featured in the latest issue of prestigious News Letter of the 'Discovery of Education'.
Jayshree's (16) documentary 'Fire in Our Hearts' had won an award at Asian American Film Festival held in New York recently and was also nominated for 'My Hero Film Festival'.
Powered by the number one non-fiction media brand in the world, Discovery Education provides content to various school districts to cope up with digital age.
"We are promoting 'Fire in Our Hearts' in our November newsletter that is distributed in the US and Canada. This was sent to nearly 800,000 educators and 'Fire in Our Hearts' was one of the top five items people clicked, which is a fantastic lift," said BYkids founder and executive director Holly Carter via e-mail.
BYkids is a non-profit organisation pairing master filmmakers, including Albert Maysles and Ric Burns, with youth (ages 8-21) from around the world to create short documentaries that educate Americans about globally relevant issues.
Jayshree has been listed as 'An Indian Teen Fights for education' in the newsletter.
The 27-minute-long documentary, shot by Jayashree herself, chronicles struggle of children, especially girls, working at brick kiln for education.
Complimenting Jayashree for the recognition, Vasai MLA Vivek Pandit said, "If tribal girls are given an opportunity they can excel."
Jayshree's journey to stardom started when documentary filmmaker Joyce Chopra from the Bykids and two other members flew down to Wada village from New York and trained her in handling camera.
- Ukraine says Russia fomenting eastern unrest
- Liquor worth Rs 4.85 cr seized in MP ahead of LS polls
- Man held with foreign currency worth Rs 38 lakh at airport
- In Amethi, Smriti Irani attacks Rahul Gandhi for betraying people
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’