Thane-Borivali BEST buses soon
- Narendra Modi attacks Rahul Gandhi, says his 'entire family has never been able to fight BJP ideology'
- Imran Masood arrested after 'chop Modi' remark, Rahul Gandhi cancels Saharanpur rally
- Sabir Ali dares Naqvi, says will quit politics if there's any connection with Bhatkal
- Narendra Modi and Kejriwal locked in a war over books in Varanasi
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks dynasty politics again; Jaswant says he will not withdraw
There is good news in store for residents of Ghodbunder road area. Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) will soon start its bus services between Mulund (West) station and Borivali via Ghodbunder. Commuters on this route had been having problems because of poor bus connectivity.
"We will soon be plying 20 buses on the route. We will increase the frequency and the number of buses after looking at the response," said BEST General Manager Uttam Khobragade. "We also plan to start more services on the (Thane) Bus Rapid Transport System (BRTS) route, but this would be non-AC buses." BEST at present operates the King Long buses from Thane (Cadbury junction) to Backbay Depot.
The road is an important link that connects the eastern and western suburbs besides Borivali and other satellite townships of Mira road and Vasai Virar.
Over the past five years, a township has come up on Ghodbunder road.
The bus service would be a welcome change for the residents of Ghodbunder as the area doesn't have enough transport facilities, though the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) and TMT ply a few vehicles on the route.
The Thane Municipal Transport (TMT), part of the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC), has some 250 buses in its fleet and a sizeable number is either more than 15 years old or non-functional. Thane commuters have been complaining for long against TMT's inefficient services.
Interestingly, BEST has sent a proposal to the state government to allow them to take over TMT. "We are waiting for the nod from the government. If there are any issues to be solved, we can sort them out," added Khobragade.
Both TMT and BEST buses ply on each other's routes, but both have denied permission to each other to ply on the Ghodbunder route. On the same route, the TMT takes passengers to Mira road and Bhayander.
- Election Commission sets in motion poll process in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry
- Opposition targets ruling AIADMK on power issue
- I shake hands with every woman I meet… It leaves a lasting impact: Jannat
- Kadam, Vyavahare, Bagwe in Congress star campaigners’ list
- Modi rally: Traffic snarls likely today
- Cong MLC goes to EC, complains against Ramdev