Thane-Borivali BEST buses soon
- PM Modi breaks silence on Raghuram Rajan's reappointment, says it shouldn't be of media's interest
- Kejriwal, Nitish witnesses Mamata's oath-taking ceremony at Kolkata's Red Road
- US asks Pakistan to cooperate with India on 26/11 probe
- Even if we could benefit from polarisation, we wouldn’t want to derive such benefits: Rajnath Singh
- Opinion: Muslims and RSS cannot afford to go on hating
There is good news in store for residents of Ghodbunder road area. Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) will soon start its bus services between Mulund (West) station and Borivali via Ghodbunder. Commuters on this route had been having problems because of poor bus connectivity.
"We will soon be plying 20 buses on the route. We will increase the frequency and the number of buses after looking at the response," said BEST General Manager Uttam Khobragade. "We also plan to start more services on the (Thane) Bus Rapid Transport System (BRTS) route, but this would be non-AC buses." BEST at present operates the King Long buses from Thane (Cadbury junction) to Backbay Depot.
The road is an important link that connects the eastern and western suburbs besides Borivali and other satellite townships of Mira road and Vasai Virar.
Over the past five years, a township has come up on Ghodbunder road.
The bus service would be a welcome change for the residents of Ghodbunder as the area doesn't have enough transport facilities, though the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) and TMT ply a few vehicles on the route.
The Thane Municipal Transport (TMT), part of the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC), has some 250 buses in its fleet and a sizeable number is either more than 15 years old or non-functional. Thane commuters have been complaining for long against TMT's inefficient services.
Interestingly, BEST has sent a proposal to the state government to allow them to take over TMT. "We are waiting for the nod from the government. If there are any issues to be solved, we can sort them out," added Khobragade.
Both TMT and BEST buses ply on each other's routes, but both have denied permission to each other to ply on the Ghodbunder route. On the same route, the TMT takes passengers to Mira road and Bhayander.
- Muslims and RSS cannot afford to go on hating
- After the initial euphoria, Modi government has created widespread despondency
- Fixing the learning deficit requires a lot more than right kind of tracking technology
- The problem begins with the way we define “urban” and “rural”
- Modi govt’s backward-looking instincts pulls down its forward-looking mission
- Judge-population ratio is not the apt parameter to determine judiciary’s strength