Thank You for Smoking
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
How about a smoked five-course meal? Move over the tandoori mains, chefs are playing with hickory for salads and desserts too.
There was a time when the term "smoked duck" would elicit only a mental image of Daffy Duck smoking a cigar, quacking away in indignation. However, as today's culinary cognoscenti can vouch for, the formerly Disney copyright now refers to distinctly delicious duck dishes, each with their own characteristic flavour.
Chef Manish Mehrota of Indian Accent says, "While earlier, the word 'smoked' applied almost exclusively to items such as poultry and bacon, smoking has taken on a whole new dynamic today. Not only is it an individual fully-fledged flavour factor, it is also a presentation gimmick used by several restaurants." Agrees Chef Shamsul Wahid of Smoke House Deli, where 60 percent of the menu comprises smoked dishes. He says, "Smoking adds an earthy twist to different foods and a whole new dimension of flavour. We use woods from trees such as cherry, apple and hickory, which impart their own character to dishes."
Smoking as a cooking technique is not wholly revolutionary in a nation where tandoor has always held a hallowed status, but the various manners in which it can be applied to different courses of meal is a recent development. In this regard, Chef Saby of Olive Bar and Kitchen says, "Earlier, one of the most popular smoking techniques in the country, popularised by stalwarts like Chef Qureshi, was dhua dalna. In this, large metal bearings were heated to a red-hot temperature and then thrown into the pot with the uncooked meat and marination. Today, you have high-tech smoking chambers for large amounts of food and handheld smoking guns, which can be used live while presenting a salad or a soup. This adds visual appeal to the dining experience."
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today