Tharoor PETA's 'person of the year'
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, RR vs SRH: RR pick regular wickets, stall SRH progress
Union Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor has been chosen as "Person of the Year" by animal rights campaigner PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) for initiating steps for animal protection.
Tharoor used the power and prestige of his office to advocate for the protection of animals, a PETA release said.
He had encouraged the National Council of Educational Research and Training to examine PETA's Central Board of Secondary Education approved-'Compassionate Citizen humane' -education programme for incorporation into its textbooks.
Tharoor, representing Thiruvananthapuram in the Lok Sabha, is also supporting the use of non-animal methods for teaching students and training teachers, it said.
"We are thankful to Tharoor for his work and for recognising that animals deserve kindness and consideration", says PETA India CEO Poorva Joshipura.
Tharoor's other efforts to help animals include writing a letter to Health Minister Gulam Nabi Azad urging him to implement non-animal methods of teaching in medical courses.
"In addition, he urged the National Council for Teacher Education to ban the use of animals, such as for dissection, in training teachers," it said.
Actors Hema Malini and R Madhavan were previous recipients of PETA India's Person of the Year Award, the release added.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer