The big fat Congress wedding
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
30,000 attend wedding of Cong leader Kanwar Singh Tanwar's son with daughter of ex-MLA Jaunapuria
A helicopter claimed as a wedding present, 30,000 guests, 100 vegetarian dishes, 2 mammoth pandals that took 1,000 workers nearly 40 days to erect, 12 giant screens to televise the wedding ceremony, and return gifts for guests who came to bless the couple.
The groom and his family couldn't have asked for more during these austere times. But then Lalit Tanwar is no ordinary groom. On Tuesday night, the son of Congress leader Kanwar Singh Tanwar tied the knot with Yogita, daughter of former Sohna MLA Sukhbir Singh Jaunapuria.
With declared assets of more than Rs 150 crore, Tanwar was the richest candidate during the 2008 Delhi Assembly elections.
As son Lalit arrived in a BMW, the giant screens at Jaunapur in Fatehpur Beri came alive, capturing every detail. Both Lalit and his bride Yogita are said to be MBA graduates.
The scale of the wedding left guests stunned. But the father of the groom maintained that it was a "simple" affair.
"I got many poor girls married, but no one noticed. True, a Bell 429 helicopter was given, but it was a simple wedding," Tanwar told Newsline.
However, DGCA records show the only Bell 429 helicopter in India was delivered to Span Air in November 2010. Its registration code is VT-NKL. A Chennai-based group is in talks to buy another Bell 429 later this year.
When told about this, Tanwar said: "I don't know these details. All I know is that it is a Bell 429 that we have."
There were two pandals — one for the aam aadmi and the other for VIPs. Nearly 30,000 people went in and out of the two pandals as the feast began. There were nearly 100 dishes — Thai, Chinese, Indian and Continental — but all vegetarian. Alcohol and non-vegetarian food was a strict no-no.
- Modi govt abetted and pushed 2002 riots further, we didnâ€™t in â€™84:Â Rahul
- Rahul gifts his land near Vadraâ€™s in Haryana village to sisterÂ Priyanka
- Indiaâ€™s biggest failing | The Indian Express
- Hrithik Roshan, Hrithik Roshan Bang Bang, Hrithik Roshan starts shooting, Hrithik Roshan Katrina Kaif, Katrina Kaif bang bang | The Indian Express