The big fat Congress wedding
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy arrested in Lucknow, says he was not absconding
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- Govt hikes DA by 10% for 80 lakh employees & pensioners
- In countdown to polls, UPA govt pushes for dozen cabinet proposals to beat model code of conduct
- Tarun Tejpal among three booked for possession of phones inside Goa jail
30,000 attend wedding of Cong leader Kanwar Singh Tanwar's son with daughter of ex-MLA Jaunapuria
A helicopter claimed as a wedding present, 30,000 guests, 100 vegetarian dishes, 2 mammoth pandals that took 1,000 workers nearly 40 days to erect, 12 giant screens to televise the wedding ceremony, and return gifts for guests who came to bless the couple.
The groom and his family couldn't have asked for more during these austere times. But then Lalit Tanwar is no ordinary groom. On Tuesday night, the son of Congress leader Kanwar Singh Tanwar tied the knot with Yogita, daughter of former Sohna MLA Sukhbir Singh Jaunapuria.
With declared assets of more than Rs 150 crore, Tanwar was the richest candidate during the 2008 Delhi Assembly elections.
As son Lalit arrived in a BMW, the giant screens at Jaunapur in Fatehpur Beri came alive, capturing every detail. Both Lalit and his bride Yogita are said to be MBA graduates.
The scale of the wedding left guests stunned. But the father of the groom maintained that it was a "simple" affair.
"I got many poor girls married, but no one noticed. True, a Bell 429 helicopter was given, but it was a simple wedding," Tanwar told Newsline.
However, DGCA records show the only Bell 429 helicopter in India was delivered to Span Air in November 2010. Its registration code is VT-NKL. A Chennai-based group is in talks to buy another Bell 429 later this year.
When told about this, Tanwar said: "I don't know these details. All I know is that it is a Bell 429 that we have."
There were two pandals — one for the aam aadmi and the other for VIPs. Nearly 30,000 people went in and out of the two pandals as the feast began. There were nearly 100 dishes — Thai, Chinese, Indian and Continental — but all vegetarian. Alcohol and non-vegetarian food was a strict no-no.
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past