The dead raise a stink as the helpless living complain
- Maharashtra: Building collapses in Thane district, several feared trapped
- Nation pays tribute to Abdul Kalam, funeral in Rameswaram on July 30
- SC bench differs on Yakub's execution, refers plea to larger bench
- 'Your indebted student': Kalam's advisor pays tribute to former President on Facebook
- Gurdaspur attack: GPS shows terror team, got drug cartel help too
Two bodies were allegedly lying nearly 18 hours in the general ward with other patients in Burdwan Medical College and Hospital here today.
The relatives of the patients alleged that two unidentified bodies were lying on the floor of room-3 of Radharani Ward of the hospital after the patients died midnight yesterday.
"The relatives of the patients repeatedly complained to the hospital authorities after the bodies began to stink," Samir Mitra, a relative of a patient, told mediapersons.
The staff of the hospital sprinkled phenyl near the bodies after the relatives raised an alarm, they said.
BMCH authorities said the bodies could not be removed for staff shortage.
"The bodies were lying on the floor for want of staff. It could not be removed for six hours as the patients died at about 12 noon," Superintendent of BMCH Dr Asit Baran Samanta said.
The bodies were finally removed in the evening, officials said.