The Indian Express wins WAN-IFRA gold award for Social Media
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
The Indian Express bagged the gold in Social Media at the WAN-IFRA Asian Digital Media Awards, 2012 at a ceremony held in Kuala Lumpur on November 26th, 2012.
Pichai Chuensuksawadi, Editor-in-Chief, Bangkok Post awarded the trophy to Anant Goenka, Head-New Media, The Indian Express at a ceremony in Kuala Lumpur.
"It's a wonderful accomplishment for the team," said Goenka. "A high-recall brand like The Indian Express is very powerful on social media -- on both 'open graph' and the 'interest graph' platforms. The trick to take our legacy viral, is to create more content which goes beyond the newspaper and appeals to a younger audience. In fact, internally we like to call it the Facebook 'edition' rather than just a fan page," he said.
Social Media was one of the most contested categories this year at WAN-IFRA's Digital Media Asia Awards. NDTV Ltd, Singapore Press Holdings and Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd tied for silver and P.T. Tiau Media Grafika was recognised with a bronze trophy for their work in the social media space.
WAN-IFRA's Chief Operating Officer Thomas Jacob said the awards are growing every year. ''We received this year 163 entries from close to 50 different media companies from 14 countries,'' he said. He said The Indian Express' entry in the Social Media category ''showed good cross-channel work and the creation of a powerful news eco system including own channels and social media". One of the judges of the awards, Markus Petterson from Goteborgs-Posten (Sweden), felt it had a ''well thought content strategy and great engagement level on Facebook''.
Aside from live tweeting Express events like Express Adda, Idea Exchange and Screen Weekly's Big Picture and Preview events, Express' award winning team of reporters also engage with readers on social media as they live tweet sporting events and major political rallies. On Facebook, one of the most popular innovations is the news bulletin post which delivers a news bulletin to our fans every four hours directly on their timeline.
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress