The Khan at the airport
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
I get it now. It's election year and the one thing that unifies an electorate on voting day is, say it with me, a common enemy. I guess that's where we come in. But there are certain facts that remain true. One, as you so often love to tell us at the UN, is that India has more Muslims than Pakistan. Even you know you can't wish those numbers away. Two, several weeks ago a mad, fat woman pushed an Indian man in NYC onto the subway trains because she thought he was "Muslim or Hindu" and so responsible for 9/11, proving that you don't have to be a Pakistani for it to become an issue. And while we're on the topic, I'd just like to say, "Okay, so your name is Khan. So what?" There are way worse names than "Khan" in International Relations. Believe me. Have you ever travelled with someone who has "bin" in their name? I have. The immigration guards go red-eyed and an accusatory bomb squad materialises out of your suitcase.
Aijazuddin is a writer and artist based in Lahore