The Lokpal Bill, then and now
- Five crew members killed in IAF's C-130J Super Hercules plane crash
- IPL season 7 to go on; Sunil Gavaskar to be BCCI chief
- Two terrorists killed in encounter after attacking army camp in J&K
- Sohrabuddin fake encounter: Supreme Court grants bail to Rajkumar Pandian
- Elections 2014 Live: Uma Bharti to fight from Jhansi, Modi's PM dream will never be fulfilled says Lalu
What's changed, what hasn't between original bill and amended version, headed for Rajya Sabha
Bill: Said it will only be applicable to states that give consent.
Select committee: Lokayukta mandatory for all states, which have the freedom to determine the specifics depending on their requirements.
Cabinet: Accepted. State must set up Lokayuktas within 365 days from the date of the Act.
Eligibility & appointment
Bill: Lokpal chairperson or members shall not be connected with any political party; one member will be an eminent jurist nominated by President.
Select committee: Replace the word "connected" with "affiliated"; one member will be an eminent jurist nominated by the President.
Bill: Includes societies, trusts and associations that receive donations from the public over a specified annual amount; those that receive foreign donations over Rs 10 lakh a year.
Select committee: Exclude organisations that receive public donations from the public over a certain specified annual amount.
Cabinet: Not accepted. Exclude only public religious or charitable trusts, and endowments or societies for religious or charitable purposes.
Bill: If Lok Pal decides to proceed on a complaint, it shall order a preliminary inquiry by the inquiry wing or any other investigative agency.
Select committee: If it decides to proceed, it shall either order a preliminary inquiry, or if a prima facie case already exists it may order an investigation by any investigative agency.
Cabinet: Accepted with modification. The Lokpal should, before concluding there is a prima facie case, call for an explanation from the public servant, and order an investigation only after that.
Bill: During inquiry, comments of the public servant and competent authority shall be obtained; the public servant shall be given an opportunity of being heard.
Select committee: Replace "shall be obtained" with "may be obtained"; delete provision for giving an opportunity of being heard.
- Manmohan, Sonia and Rahul to campaign in Odisha
- Khurshid hits out at UP police over poll code violation case
- BJP will field strong candidates against Rahul, Sonia: Rajnath
- Modi, Hooda snatching land from farmers: Kejriwal
- Major political outfits banking on 'senior' leaders in Punjab
- IM top man Akhtar was planning terror strike in Delhi: Police