'The Message' by Grandmaster Flash, deemed greatest hip hop song ever
- ASEAN Summit: PM Modi meets Chinese counterpart; discusses bilateral ties
- Congress 'anti-national', party should be 'derecognised': Sukhbir Badal
- Tejaswi Yadav takes on critics, says don't judge a book by its cover
- Sheena Bora murder case: Charges against Peter Mukerjea outrageous, says son Rahul Mukerjea
- AAP sends invite to dissident Shanti Bhushan for NC meet
They included musician Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson of The Roots, who Brackett described as "an incredible encyclopedia" of both old and new hip hop knowledge. Brackett noted that some songs considered to be one-hitwonders, such as Audio Two's 1988 hit "Top Billin'," made the final selection.
"The references in those songs become the building blocks of all these other songs down the road ... they become touchstones, really part of the meat of hip hop songs going forward," Brackett said.
The full list will be released online at RollingStone.com and in the pop culture magazine on newsstands on Dec.7. The issue will feature four different covers of Eminem, Jay-Z, Notorious B.I.G. and 2Pac.