The most powerful Indians in 2012: No. 51-60
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
51. Pawan Munjal, 57
MD & CEO, Hero MotoCorp
New on the list
Pawan Munjal successfully managed Hero Honda's parting of ways with Honda Motor Company. He now steers the newly-christened Hero MotoCorp into the future without the formidable Japanese bike major for tech support.
Four years ago, Munjal is said to have brought together around 40 key executives to chart out new business opportunities. A consulting firm was roped in to prepare a report. His early homework kept him in good stead.
Munjal and his top team have upgraded Hero MotoCorp's R&D team with more than 200 engineers. On the anvil is a concept series hybrid scooter, which Munjal thinks could be a game-changer. He's also said to be looking at global opportunities.
BY THE WAY
He is an avid golfer.
52. Sushil Kumar Modi, 60
Deputy CM, Bihar
Rank '11: 62
He is the pivot of an alliance that is crucial to the future prospects of the BJP-led NDA. At a time when the NDA is a much-diminished version of itself, the BJP-JD(U) alliance in Bihar is indispensable to its fightback at the Centre.Though Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is much feted for putting the state on the growth track, Modi is the underestimated deputy and Finance Minister whose sober style has never let attention be diverted to the inner dynamics of what is still seen as a not-so-natural alliance.
Having presided over the BJP's dramatic strike rate of 89 per cent in the 2010 Assembly polls, Modi has quietly but surely used the ensuing year to lay low his rivals in the state BJP.
Modi must ensure that the BJP-JD(U) coalition in Bihar remains stable till the 2014 parliamentary polls as it will be crucial to any revival of the NDA at the Centre.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today