The politics beneath 'Telangana' move
- What benefit did I pass on to Lalit Modi? asks Sushma after controversy
- One Rank, One Pension: Parrikar asks agitating ex-servicemen to be patient
- 29-year-old held for raping mother in Ahmedabad
- Country emerges tough if leader is strong-willed: Rajyavardhan Rathore
- Over 15,000 killed in Naxal violence since 1980: Home Ministry
The Union Cabinet on Thursday cleared the decks for formation of a separate state of Telangana with Hyderabad as the joint capital for next 10 years.
Here are the political ramifications of the much debated move:
Shows intent; pushes Jagan, TDP, BJP to state where they stand. Cong hopes it'll confine TDP and Jagan to 17 fewer LS seats than in united AP
Leaves little room for TRS to not merge with Congress after getting Telangana and Hyderabad; Cong hopes it'll also bring poll dividends for it in Telangana
Ensures there's no mega sweep (of united AP) by a non-Congress party. Congress also wants to put Jagan in his place, send signals to other ambitious state leaders that they'll be checkmated too
Allows Congress to claim credit for fulfilling a "promise" that has been hanging fire since 1956. Hyderabad is physically and otherwise Telangana's centre; couldn't have gone anywhere else in any case
Puts focus on the new Seemandhra capital by making Hyderabad's departure an inevitability. Coastal Andhra money can now go to Ongole or Vijaywada, etc.