The Royal Wish
- Sports court tears Narsingh Yadav defence, NADA’s credibility
- Ramya on sedition case: Will not apologise for my Pakistan remark, said nothing wrong
- I can't fight against the government or AFI, but I know the truth: OP Jaisha
- From Rajasthan to Bihar: Tracking floods in north India
- Kashmir unrest: Curfew lifted from parts of Srinagar
The Royal Wish
Bhutan's Queen Jetsun Pema was part of the discussions when External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid went to meet King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck Friday morning. The King has made it quite clear, since his last visit, that he wants to involve the queen in matters of business as well. While the royal couple were hosted for a lunch at the PM's residence, they were joined by Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, and top Congress ministers A K Antony, P Chidambaram, Sushilkumar Shinde and Khurshid. However, Priyanka ó who had attended the royal couple's wedding ó was not part of the lunch.
DURING the run-up for the SC/ST quota in promotions, Personnel Minister V Narayanasamy was in the centre of it all with his papers snatched and torn by Samajwadi Party MPs in the Lok Sabha. One of the questions from the debate was that why was there not a single SC/ST Secretary-level officer. Narayanasamy said there was no officer from SC/ST community, overlooking the fact that 1979-batch IAS officer Lalit Panwar, currently Additional CMD, ITDC, was empaneled as Secretary along with his batch a month before the quota bill debate. In fact, he is still awaiting a posting as a Secretary.
THE Army made a lot of splashes last year when a team of women officers conquered the Everest and were even flagged in by the President as a mark of their feat. What made the expedition unique was that all seven women members managed to get to the peak. It was no surprise then that the entire team was named for the Vishishth Seva Medal on the eve of Republic Day. A total of 10 medals were conferred to the team, including one to the deputy leader. But what has left many wondering is that why the team leader, a Colonel with years of experience under his belt, was left out of the awards list.
- Tension between the executive and judiciary could play out in creative, or destructive, ways
- Mental Health Bill tries to address complex issues, but it’s a work in progress
- Modi’s recent statements could help end the troubled region’s long international isolation
- Divya Spandana: Pakistan is no hell, I stand by my remarks
- The freedom from unreason
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity