The Samajwadi Parivar
- Kalikho Pul's body found hanging from ceiling fan in CM house
- Kalikho Pul: A carpenter who became Arunachal chief minister
- Raghuram Rajan: Risks to inflation target of 5% for March 2017 continue to be on upside
- Irom Sharmila to break 16-year long fast today, start a new fight
- Topgun Abhinav Bindra falls in a shoot-out at Rio
Mulayam Singh Yadav, 72: Was in student politics before being elected to UP Assembly in 1967. Was CM in 1989, 1993 and 2003; was Union defence minister in the United Front govt in 1996.
Is reportedly inspired by Ram Manohar Lohia, Chaudhary Charan Singh and Ram Sewak Yadav.
Akhilesh Yadav, 38: Mulayam's son from his first wife, the late Malti Devi, Akhilesh first won the Kannauj Lok Sabha seat in the 2000 bypolls.
A B.Tech. from Mysore University, with an MBA from Australia, he emerged as the SP's new face in the run-up to the Assembly polls.
Dimple Yadav, 35: Daughter of a former army officer and a Rajput from Uttarakhand,
Akhilesh's wife Dimple lost the 2009 LS polls from Ferozabad. Her defeat reportedly marked the beginning of the rift between Mulayam and Amar Singh.
Ram Gopal Yadav, 66: Cousin of Mulayam, he is the SP general secretary and is considered part of the party's think tank.
When Mulayam became CM in 1989, he was elected zila parishad chairman. He was sent to the Rajya Sabha in 1992.
Shivpal Yadav, 57: Mulayam's younger brother was fielded from Jaswant Nagar, a family stronghold, in 1996. The Leader of the Opposition in the outgoing Assembly, he is reportedly unhappy with prominence given to Akhilesh.
Aditya Yadav AKA Ankur Yadav, 24: The elder son of Shivpal Yadav, he lost the zilla panchayat from Jaswant Nagar block to a candidate supported by the BSP. A B.Tech. graduate, Aditya was looking after his father's seat.
Dharmendra Yadav, 33: Son of Mulayam's younger brother Abhay Ram, he was elected to the Lok Sabha from Mainpuri in a bypoll in 2004. He was re-elected from Badayun in 2009. His elder brother, Anurag, has left his job with Indian Oil to look after the family business.
Tej Pratap Yadav, 22: The newest entrant from the family into politics is the grandson of Mulayam's elder brother Rattan Singh, in whose memory Saifai Mahotsava is celebrated every year.
Tej Pratap was elected block pramukh of Saifai. He has reportedly done his MBA from London.
Anshul Yadav, 27: Son of Mulayam's younger brother Rajpal Yadav who has taken VRS from FCI, Anshul did his MBA from Amity University, Noida, and was managing the party's affairs in Etawah during the run-up to these elections.
- Una awakening: New focus on land distribution for redemption of Dalit dignity
- Angered by gau rakshak, now PM Modi must apply the same principle to all crime
- Governors, with rare exceptions, have been acting as if employees of the Central govt
- Arctic opportunities: India should leverage trade talks with South Korea
- PM Modi's belated statements on gau rakshaks still require scrutiny
- Changing a name of place can be an act of power or about the politics of visibility