The Samajwadi Parivar
- A person killing people with Quran in his hand is not Muslim, but a terrorist: Aamir Khan at #RNGAwards
- Dubai shuts down part of metro's green line over large fire
- Oceans, cyberworld should not become new theatres of contests: PM Modi
- Financial transactions motive behind Sheena's murder, CBI tells court
- J&K: Army jawan, three terrorists killed in separate encounters
Mulayam Singh Yadav, 72: Was in student politics before being elected to UP Assembly in 1967. Was CM in 1989, 1993 and 2003; was Union defence minister in the United Front govt in 1996.
Is reportedly inspired by Ram Manohar Lohia, Chaudhary Charan Singh and Ram Sewak Yadav.
Akhilesh Yadav, 38: Mulayam's son from his first wife, the late Malti Devi, Akhilesh first won the Kannauj Lok Sabha seat in the 2000 bypolls.
A B.Tech. from Mysore University, with an MBA from Australia, he emerged as the SP's new face in the run-up to the Assembly polls.
Dimple Yadav, 35: Daughter of a former army officer and a Rajput from Uttarakhand,
Akhilesh's wife Dimple lost the 2009 LS polls from Ferozabad. Her defeat reportedly marked the beginning of the rift between Mulayam and Amar Singh.
Ram Gopal Yadav, 66: Cousin of Mulayam, he is the SP general secretary and is considered part of the party's think tank.
When Mulayam became CM in 1989, he was elected zila parishad chairman. He was sent to the Rajya Sabha in 1992.
Shivpal Yadav, 57: Mulayam's younger brother was fielded from Jaswant Nagar, a family stronghold, in 1996. The Leader of the Opposition in the outgoing Assembly, he is reportedly unhappy with prominence given to Akhilesh.
Aditya Yadav AKA Ankur Yadav, 24: The elder son of Shivpal Yadav, he lost the zilla panchayat from Jaswant Nagar block to a candidate supported by the BSP. A B.Tech. graduate, Aditya was looking after his father's seat.
Dharmendra Yadav, 33: Son of Mulayam's younger brother Abhay Ram, he was elected to the Lok Sabha from Mainpuri in a bypoll in 2004. He was re-elected from Badayun in 2009. His elder brother, Anurag, has left his job with Indian Oil to look after the family business.
Tej Pratap Yadav, 22: The newest entrant from the family into politics is the grandson of Mulayam's elder brother Rattan Singh, in whose memory Saifai Mahotsava is celebrated every year.
Tej Pratap was elected block pramukh of Saifai. He has reportedly done his MBA from London.
Anshul Yadav, 27: Son of Mulayam's younger brother Rajpal Yadav who has taken VRS from FCI, Anshul did his MBA from Amity University, Noida, and was managing the party's affairs in Etawah during the run-up to these elections.
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy
- The needs of the time shape the character of the myth- Tipu Sultan
- Raja-Mandala: Japan’s counter to China’s silk road
- It started with Perumal
- Open channels of communication are vital for democracy and governance