The talk about direct plans
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
With the recent Sebi mandate to provide separate plan for investments (read direct plans), my friend Jaya's husband Rohit Shankaran, an active investor in share markets and mutual funds, got curious.
He asked few questions to his wife on these plans — knowing that she loves to read financial dailies over her morning cup of tea. Obviously she was quite uncomfortable in answering his queries. Jaya directed Rohit's questions to me.
Rohit shoots his first question on direct plans, "I have made some investments partially through distributor and partially without a distributor. Can I convert my entire investments to direct plan?"
Yes, this can be done by submitting a switch request, was my reply.
"Will NAV of direct plan be different from the NAV for the existing/regular plan?"
On the effective date i.e. January 1, 2013 when the direct plan was introduced, the NAV was same for both existing/regular plan and the direct plan.
Thereafter, there will be difference in NAV based on the expense ratio which will reduce as distributor's commission and distribution expenses are done away with.
Rohit came back, "Will my future dividend investments take place automatically in the direct plan for those investments which are not routed through any distributor.
My reply was, "In this case dividend investment will take place automatically in the existing/regular plan even though the investment is not routed through the distributor. "
Now, he wanted to know if he could convert his future installments of SIP to direct plan. Yes he could. He can give a request for the conversion to direct plan.
However, the terms and conditions that prevailed at the time of original registration will continue for the future SIP instalments.
Rohit paused. It looked like he had got all his answers. It was a breather for me.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness