Syed Abdul Karim Tunda: The story from Pilkhuwa to Pakistan
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
He had also migrated into the gems business. This later helped him travel to Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Thailand and Bangladesh. His first passport, in the name of Abdul Karim, was issued "from either Lucknow or Barielly" in 1988.
In 1989, Tunda is said to have learnt veterinary and homeopathic treatment from one Dr Habib Ansari. He has reportedly told police that along with Mumbai's Dr Jalees Ansari, he masterminded a series of blasts on Rajdhani Express trains on the first anniversary of the Babri Masjid demolition. It was incidentally the day when serial blasts struck Mumbai.
Pakistan and Bangladesh
Before the masjid demolition, Tunda had reportedly visited Pakistan to meet a brother-in-law, Gayasuddin, besides Abid and Maulana Fazl-ur-Rehman. It was during this time, the report says, that he was introduced to LeT head Hafiz Saeed by a maulvi, Safi-ur-Rehman, who hailed from UP and who was then settled in Mecca. In March 1993, Tunda has reportedly said, he met Saeed again in Pakistan, seeking funds for terrorist activities with the help of LeT.
On the run after the train blasts, Tunda allegedly went to Kolkata in 1994 and met a man named Zakaria at a mosque. Zakaria took him to a village where Tunda later married the former's daughter, Asma. He and Zakaria later went to another village, from where they allegedly moved into Bangladesh; the report says they bribed border personnel. In Bangladesh, Tunda allegedly procured a new passport with the help of Abdul Mateen, Zakaria's father-in-law, under the name Anwar. It was issued from Rajshahi.
In 1995, Tunda is said to have travelled to Saudi Arabia on his Bangaldesh passport . There he was reportedly introduced to Zafar Iqbal, Lashkar treasurer, by maulvi Safi-ur-Rehman. Tunda apparently wanted LeT help in relocating with his family to Pakistan. He returned to Bangladesh after two months, apparently with an assurance from LeT.
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building
- Barcelona gets temporary relief as FIFA freezes transfer ban
- Moyes thanks Ferguson, stays mum on players