Syed Abdul Karim Tunda: The story from Pilkhuwa to Pakistan
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
- Arvind Kejriwal set to launch Aam Aadmi Party Lok Sabha poll campaign tomorrow at Rohtak
- Mata Amritanandamayi dismiss allegations against her ashram
- Hindu migrants from Bangladesh must be accommodated: Modi
- Sushma Swaraj on Rahul Gandhi's anti-graft efforts: Sau chuhe kha ke billi haj ko chali
He had also migrated into the gems business. This later helped him travel to Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Thailand and Bangladesh. His first passport, in the name of Abdul Karim, was issued "from either Lucknow or Barielly" in 1988.
In 1989, Tunda is said to have learnt veterinary and homeopathic treatment from one Dr Habib Ansari. He has reportedly told police that along with Mumbai's Dr Jalees Ansari, he masterminded a series of blasts on Rajdhani Express trains on the first anniversary of the Babri Masjid demolition. It was incidentally the day when serial blasts struck Mumbai.
Pakistan and Bangladesh
Before the masjid demolition, Tunda had reportedly visited Pakistan to meet a brother-in-law, Gayasuddin, besides Abid and Maulana Fazl-ur-Rehman. It was during this time, the report says, that he was introduced to LeT head Hafiz Saeed by a maulvi, Safi-ur-Rehman, who hailed from UP and who was then settled in Mecca. In March 1993, Tunda has reportedly said, he met Saeed again in Pakistan, seeking funds for terrorist activities with the help of LeT.
On the run after the train blasts, Tunda allegedly went to Kolkata in 1994 and met a man named Zakaria at a mosque. Zakaria took him to a village where Tunda later married the former's daughter, Asma. He and Zakaria later went to another village, from where they allegedly moved into Bangladesh; the report says they bribed border personnel. In Bangladesh, Tunda allegedly procured a new passport with the help of Abdul Mateen, Zakaria's father-in-law, under the name Anwar. It was issued from Rajshahi.
In 1995, Tunda is said to have travelled to Saudi Arabia on his Bangaldesh passport . There he was reportedly introduced to Zafar Iqbal, Lashkar treasurer, by maulvi Safi-ur-Rehman. Tunda apparently wanted LeT help in relocating with his family to Pakistan. He returned to Bangladesh after two months, apparently with an assurance from LeT.
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers | The Indian Express