The year that was — for them
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Ishwar Singh, Police Commissioner
The soft-spoken officer often says that police employees remain on their toes for 20 hours a day so as to make others sleep well. The year 2012 did exactly that to this IPS officer. The VIP and VVIP visits and the crime graph kept him and his team busy. The Police Commissioner was indeed a busy bee in 2012.
Rahul Tiwari, Deputy Commissioner
An expert in multi-tasking, Tiwari was given additional charge of the chief administrator, GLADA, and the administrator, Ludhiana Improvement Trust (LIT), in 2012. His repeated requests made the government appoint separate officers in GLADA and LIT later. And he heaved a sigh of relief. "I am happy to be DC only," he had said.
H S Gohalwaria, Mayor
The quick and alert mayor, who took charge a few months back, is not even a graduate but he says "I can beat the management graduates in my knowledge, which I have gained through years of experience". Although he is trying hard to inculcate work culture among his employees through surprise checks, he failed to call even a single general house meeting after he took charge. Much ado about nothing?
Darshan Singh Shivalik, MLA, Gill constituency
AA dekhen zara... it seems Shivalik kept singing this song throughout the year. He remained in the news for complaining against police officers, electricity employees, industry department officials, village sarpanches... the list goes on.
Manpreet Singh Ayali, MLA, Dakha
The fitness freak did not give up the charge as chairman, Zila Parishad, even after he won the Assembly election. "This is my main strength, why should I give up the charge? I know the powers of chairman which no one used in the past. So will discharge both responsibilities easily," he had said.
Sharanjeet Singh Dhillon,
The Cabinet minister learnt how to drive a JCB machine so as to start the demolition drive from Sahnewal area. He himself supervised many encroachment drives, but miserably failed because the encroachers have still not cleared the PWD roads. He started this drive to make roads wide and accident-free, but he himself did not stop even as an escort vehicle met with an accident, and his convoy passed by.
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- Telescope: From Fawad Khan to Kalki Koechlin, journeys to keep an eye on
- Shouldn’t weekly off day be a matter of choice, instead of being dictated by law?
- India’s search for alternatives to regional forum must quicken
- Struggle against caste system & capitalism are inextricably linked
- Power struggle within weakens Samajwadi Party already undergoing an identity crisis in UP