The year that witnessed CBI raid at NDA
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- RSP quits LDF, to go alone in Lok Sabha elections
As the year ends, Newsline recaptures events of 2012 that are likely to leave an indelible mark on city
The CBI raid at the National Defence Academy (NDA) was arguably the biggest development in the defence sector that rocked the city. In June, the CBI held Col Kulbir Singh, staff officer of the then NDA commandant Lt Gen Jatinder Singh along with Col A K Singh, a physical training officer (PTO), establishment officer Suhas Waghmare, besides six others - Balkishan Kanojia, Vishnu Prasad Sharma, Ramesh Gaikwad, Manoj and Dattatray Shitkal for their alleged involvement in the recruitment of group C employees at the Academy.
For the first time ever, the commandant of the NDA was transferred by the Defence Minister to Army Headquarters in a bid to facilitate fair probe into the matter.
The Indian Express reported extensively on the matter wherein it was revealed that Colonel Kulbir Singh arrested for alleged bribery in recruitment of subordinate NDA staff, was on May 29 given an on-the-spot Chief of Army Staff (COAS) commendation by former Army Chief General V K Singh. While this commendation came during the former Army Chief's visit to the academy to review the Passing out Parade (PoP), right in the midst of May-June as mentioned by the CBI as the time when the alleged wrongdoing had taken place, he had also received the Army Commander's commendation in March-April. Singh was apparently posted to NDA in January 2011, the time when Lt Gen Jatinder Singh took over as NDA commandant, and belongs to the Guards, the same regiment as the General's.
Those allegedly involved were produced before the court and are currently out on bail. However the case is yet to come before the court for trial. On July 7, for the first time ever, NDA commandant Lt Gen Jatinder Singh was transferred to Army Headquarters to facilitate a fair probe. "We have received formal transfer orders for Lt Gen Singh and these orders are being complied with," a press release issued by the Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Defence then said.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today