This Lohri, more saying no to chinese thread
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Lohri is here and the smiles are back on faces of kite-makers in Punjab with kite-lovers thronging markets. The kites with theme of movie 'Vicky Donor' and butterflies are a big craze among people this season. Talking to The Indian Express, Harish Kumar, who owns a kite shop said: "Chinese kites with butterfly and Vicky Donor movie's theme is a big hit. They are in huge demand. In addition to this, snake and parrot shaped kites are too a big hit. A special eight-foot kite priced at Rs 200 is also available."
However, what is encouraging this season is that kite lovers are ignoring Chinese thread which is extremely dangerous for humans as well as birds.
"Neither are people are asking for nor are we keeping it. It is banned by the district administration," added Kumar.
Bhupinder Singh, a kite maker from Books market, added "People are also going for customised kites in which we are writing messages and names for customers on kites. We do not keep Chinese thread and people are also ignoring it," he said.
Vipan Bhatia, founder of Pakshi Sewa Sansthan, a free bird hospital in the city said: "Chinese thread is extremely dangerous as it does not break even with human hands when applied force and thus pierces through a bird's body posing grave injuries. Birds even carry it in their nests assuming it thread and get entangled. Now this thread is not only imported from China but also manufactured here in India. I request people not to use this thread. I have already received 55 injured birds due to thread."
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment
- Edit - Come clean