This New Year, Asom Sena to be on lookout for ‘indecent’ revellers
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
New Year's Eve celebrations in Guwahati will not be as exciting as before. Asom Sena, the vigilante wing of All-Assam Students' Union (AASU), has warned that it would not remain a silent spectator, if people crossed the lakshmanrekha of decency.
Asom Sena in fact has issued a list of do's and don'ts for those who are planning to celebrate the arrival of New Year in a big way, and warned clubs, lounge bars, restaurants and hotels against any act of vulgarity and indecency. "Indecency, vulgarity and immoral activities will not be spared," the Sena, formed two-years-ago with the Shiv Sena as a role model, said.
Asom Sena convenor Niranjan Nath said: "Our volunteers will be on duty throughout the night (of Decembr 31) in all major towns, including Guwahati". "We are not trying to take law in our hands," Nath added.
Asom Sena is concentrating more on the dozen or more lounge bars and numerous restaurants and highway dhabas, some of which have already announced "exciting parties" for December 31. Two-years-ago, the Sena volunteers had ransacked a major hotel in Guwahati on New Year's Eve allegedly for crossing the limits of decency. "You cannot allow people to dance with almost nothing on, just because they are happy that the New Year has come," Nath said.
For the police, however, it appears to be a new headache, especially with the ULFA militants already keeping it too busy with repeated explosions and grenade attacks. "We are not taking any chances. The police will be put on alert," a senior police official said.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'