This year on, Sawai will be Sawai Gandharva Bhimsen Mahotsav
- Delhi: Multi-vehicle pileup on NH-1 leaves at least five dead
- Siachen avalanche: Air pocket under 35 ft of snow kept Lance Naik Hanumanthappa alive
- Facts dispute claims by banks: write-off gallops, recovery crawls
- Upset allies Akali Dal and Shiv Sena let BJP know: Keep us in loop
- David Headley deposition adjourned for the day following technical glitch
The Sawai Gandharva Mahotsav will now be known as the Sawai Gandharva Bhimsen Mahotsav. The Arya Sangeet Prasarak Mandal announced the renaming of the classical music fest at a press conference on Friday. The 59th Sawai fest will see 26 artists perform over a period of five days, starting December 7 at the New English School, Raman Baug.
Started by Panditji in 1952 as a tribute to his guru Sawai Gandharva, this is the first Sawai Gandharva Sangeet Mahotsav after Panditji's demise in January. "Panditji credited every honour bestowed upon him to his guru. The Mahotsav was started and nurtured by him throughout. To appreciate the five decade-long devotion he had towards his guru, it was appropriate to include his name," said Shrinivas Joshi, executive president of the Arya Sangeet Prasarak Mandal and son of Pandit Joshi.