Three Nigerians among 5 held for fraud through fake lottery case
- As a public figure, you must learn to face criticism: SC tells Jayalalithaa in defamation case
- Rajnath Singh: Those who believe in Kashmiriyat, Insaniyat & Jamhooriyat welcome for talks
- Rohith Vemula was not a Dalit, says probe panel set up by HRD Ministry
- Scorpene Submarine: Will probe leak, says DCNS; source not from India, says Defence Ministry
- Saradha scam: ED summons Chidambaram's wife Nalini
Five persons, including three Nigerian nationals, were arrested on Monday for allegedly duping people of lakhs of rupees after promising them that they have won online lotteries abroad.
Sylvester Jackson Aigboh, Odibo Ahabua, Ukato Young Ben — all Nigerians — were arrested after the chance arrest of Farizul Haq and Naresh Kumar, their Indian accomplices caught riding a bike without helmets.
Police said they had detected 26 bank accounts opened using fake documents and recovered 11 mobile phones, three laptops, a motorcycle with a fake number plate and Rs 1.05 lakh in cash from them.
Haq and Kumar, police said, were caught last month during a routine traffic drive. "We also found on them two PAN cards and driving licences with the same photo but different names and we became suspicious," Deputy Commissioner of Police (North-West) N S Bundela said.
Police then interrogated the duo and claim that they confessed that they made these fake cards for opening bank accounts for their Nigerian associates.
"After raids, we managed to arrest the three Nigerians from Chhattarpur on October 10," Bundela said.
A case of cheating has been registered against the accused.
- Tension between the executive and judiciary could play out in creative, or destructive, ways
- Mental Health Bill tries to address complex issues, but it’s a work in progress
- Modi’s recent statements could help end the troubled region’s long international isolation
- Divya Spandana: Pakistan is no hell, I stand by my remarks
- The freedom from unreason
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity