'Thx' among latest words added to online Oxford dictionary
- Subrata Roy sent to police custody by Supreme Court till next hearing, faces 'ink attack'
- Nitin Gadkari-Raj Thackeray closeness could 'affect' alliance, hints Shiv Sena
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- Smith announces sudden retirement, says fortunate to have had many highs
- Third Front is unviable 'tired front', says Mamata Banerjee
Lexicographers at Oxford Dictionaries have added a fresh round of tech jargon to its online English dictionary, which includes words like 'thx'
Some of Friday's additions are the familiar ones, like 'tweetable' and 'social sharing,' which refers to people's growing need to post every piece of daily trivia to the Internet, Fox News reported.Others like "dumbphone" are also included, even if you don't use the term yourself.
But 'touchles,' for example, might not be as intuitive. According to Oxford, the term refers to gesture-control devices such as Microsoft's Kinect gaming accessory that uses a camera to interpret body motions for game-play.Still other entries might indeed have people turning to Oxford online to check definitions.
'Cruft,'a new addition that means badly designed or unwanted software.Each new word and phrase added to Oxford goes through a fairly rigorous assessment, whether it began as a suggestion from the public or if the Oxford team itself suggested the word.If a proposed entry is used by just one segment of the population, like young teens, it's disqualified.If it's a trademark, it must have broader use, such as generic use as a verb.Oxford consults specialists when necessary, and the dictionaries' editors review proposed entries.Those that make the cut are added to the online dictionary, and later, to printed versions.
- Russia tightens grip in Crimea, West threatens ‘consequences’
- Heavy patrolling in Sector 23 after thief leaves daring note
- Difference of opinion between Patil and UT’s senior standing counsel led to his resignation
- Commissioner to look into shady land deals in 35 villages: High Court
- Class X maths exam easy for some, tough for others
- Panchkula MC approves budget of Rs 39 crore