Tiger kills woman near Maharashtra national park, fifth death in 3 weeks
- Malaysia signals missing plane carrying 239 including 5 Indians has crashed
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions over selected candidates and seat sharing
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
In the fifth such incident in less than a month, a 20-year-old woman was killed by a tiger outside the Navegaon National Park, on the border between Gondia and Bhandara districts, on Friday afternoon.
The incident occurred at about 2 pm. "The victim, Bhagyashri Nevare from Bhivkhidki village, was lifted by the tiger from the road, almost from inside the village. The animal dropped her when the villagers gave chase, but she died on the spot," said Divisional Forest Officer, Gondia, Rama Rao.
Today's incident occurred only 16 kilometres from the spot where a woman was killed by a tiger just two days back. Orders have been issued to shoot the tiger.
Five women have been killed in the area so far since December 15. While the first three deaths are being blamed on a leopard, a sub-adult tiger is reported to be responsible for the latest deaths. Orders have been issued to shoot the leopard also.
While the locals reportedly feel that the tiger has killed all the five women, Rama Rao said they have evidence which points at "two different animals". "We have formed different teams and will conduct searches. We would prefer to tranquilise the animal," he added.
Following today's death, angry villagers damaged government vehicles. Two policemen were reported to have been injured in the stone-pelting.