Tiger kills woman near Maharashtra national park, fifth death in 3 weeks
- SC orders completion of trail of all sitting MPs, MLAs within year of framing charges
- Hunt on for Malaysian Airlines: Stolen passports, missing debris fuel fears of foul play
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Rs 25,000 cr: CAG sees biggest ever J&K land scam
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
In the fifth such incident in less than a month, a 20-year-old woman was killed by a tiger outside the Navegaon National Park, on the border between Gondia and Bhandara districts, on Friday afternoon.
The incident occurred at about 2 pm. "The victim, Bhagyashri Nevare from Bhivkhidki village, was lifted by the tiger from the road, almost from inside the village. The animal dropped her when the villagers gave chase, but she died on the spot," said Divisional Forest Officer, Gondia, Rama Rao.
Today's incident occurred only 16 kilometres from the spot where a woman was killed by a tiger just two days back. Orders have been issued to shoot the tiger.
Five women have been killed in the area so far since December 15. While the first three deaths are being blamed on a leopard, a sub-adult tiger is reported to be responsible for the latest deaths. Orders have been issued to shoot the leopard also.
While the locals reportedly feel that the tiger has killed all the five women, Rama Rao said they have evidence which points at "two different animals". "We have formed different teams and will conduct searches. We would prefer to tranquilise the animal," he added.
Following today's death, angry villagers damaged government vehicles. Two policemen were reported to have been injured in the stone-pelting.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress