Tiger Woods' ex-coach to polish Barack Obama's golf game
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
Once he obsessed over swing states, now he has the luxury of worrying about the state of his own swing.
Barack Obama will flee winter this long President's Day weekend and plans to polish his golf game on a stag weekend in balmy Florida, reportedly enlisting Butch Harmon, the coach who once schooled Tiger Woods.
With his wife and daughters off on an annual ski trip in the Rocky Mountains, the president, freed of the need to consider what voters might think after his re- election win, will hit the links with some friends.
Obama, an obsessive golfer, normally tees it up on a track at Andrews Air Force Base during the summer months in Washington, and rarely plays at private clubs, unless he is on vacation in Hawaii or Martha's Vineyard.
The White House, weary of complaints by Obama's Republican foes that he spends too much time on the golf course, has yet to confirm the president's plans other than to say he will be playing a couple of weekend rounds.
But Golf Digest magazine reported that legendary coach Harmon and his son Claude Harmon III were flying into Palm City, Florida to give Obama's game a tune-up.
"I've played golf with Ike, Nixon, Ford and President Bush 41," Harmon told the magazine before heading to his golf school at the Florida resort to meet the president.
"I never played with President Clinton. I met him in the Oval Office. It'll be interesting. I know the President is a real keen golfer. I'm looking forward to it. It should be fun."
Harmon, who coached Woods during one of the hottest streaks of his career from 1994 to 2003, currently works with Phil Mickelson, who like Obama is a leftie.
He has also helped countless PGA Tour pros, including multiple major champions Ernie Els and Greg Norman.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness