Tihar guards send SOS: Help, we are being watched
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
This is perhaps one of the few occasions when the police themselves are worried about their security and have sought help.
The Tamil Nadu Special Police, whose personnel guard the Tihar Jail, has asked for surveillance of its parade grounds, saying it has reason to believe its men are being watched.
Flooded with complaints from men posted at the jail and expressing fears of a terror attack, the commandant of the Tamil Nadu Special Police has written to the Superintendent of Prison (Headquarters).
The prison administration, in turn, has asked the Delhi Police Special Cell to look into the matter. Along with the letter, the commandant has forwarded instances of his personnel spotting men tracking their movements in the parade ground area.
The letter, signed by the commandant of the 7th Battalion, Tamil Nadu Special Police, states that a HuJI militant was also arrested from the area near the parade ground in 2006. "Keeping in view the background and sensitivity of the matter and also security of Tihar prison , it is requested to keep more surveillance in the area," the letter states.
Sources said that last month, the commandant was verbally informed about the fears of his personnel. After a series of meetings with the jail administration, it was decided to seek help from the Delhi Police. The Superintendent of Prison (Headquarters) wrote to the Special Cell, asking for proper surveillance in the area.
Special Cell officers said the unit would conduct surveillance and send a report to the Director General of Prisons. Security in Tihar is managed by CRPF, ITBP, TSP and personnel of the Tihar Jail.
Personnel of the Tamil Nadu Special Police are posted inside Tihar, guarding high security cells while others are posted at the main gate of the jail. The rationale behind deploying a police force from outside the state is to ensure that local undertrials and convicts do not get too friendly with the guards.
- â€˜I like to read about him (Modi)â€¦ I know he will becomeÂ PMâ€™
- â€˜Targetâ€™ closest advisers of Sonia Gandhi for VVIP chopper deal, key middleman toldÂ AgustaWestland
- Nitish, Mulayam, Gowda join hands to shape 14-party â€˜federalÂ frontâ€™
- Harish Rawat to be Uttarakhandâ€™s new Chief Minister | The Indian Express