Tihar inmates bludgeon Delhi bus driver involved in horrific Delhi gangrape
- Earthquake of magnitude 6.0 hits Afghanistan, tremors felt in north india
- Modi sarkar on right track to bring 'achche din': LK Advani
- Army officer injured in encounter with militants in J&K's Kupwara district
- Modi in Malaysia: Religion should be delinked from terror, says PM
- US 'will not relent' in Islamic State campaign, says Barack Obama
Mukesh Singh, the 26-year-old who was sent to judicial custody for his alleged role in the gangrape and torture of a woman on board the bus he was driving, was beaten up by inmates of Tihar Jail.
Although Tihar Jail spokesperson Sunil Gupta denied reports that Mukesh was beaten and forced to drink his own urine and eat excreta, sources said it was true that Mukesh had been assaulted.
Meanwhile, Mukesh was identified on Thursday by the 28-year-old software engineer who was assaulted and thrown out of the bus. The test identification parade (TIP) was conducted inside Jail 4 of Tihar on Thursday.
Mukesh is the younger brother of Ram Singh, the first to be arrested in the case. Sources said 11 men, who were of similar height and built as Mukesh, were paraded in front of the engineer. A source said the engineer was calm during the TIP.
Mukesh was driving the bus when the 23-year-old woman was gangraped, police said.
According to police, the woman's friend, who was also badly beaten up, has been trying to provide every possible piece of information and help to investigators. He recorded his statement before a Saket court on Wednesday.
Ram Singh was arrested on Monday, along with Vinay Sharma, a gym assistant at the Siri Fort sports complex, and Pawan Gupta, a fruit vendor. Mukesh was arrested later from Rajasthan.
- Open channels of communication are vital for democracy and governance
- From plate to plough: Slogans should be backed with appropriate strategies, else they remain showbiz
- Some plainspeaking for Mr Akbar
- Why the IS survives
- Bad monsoon memories
- Across the aisle: A flat growth rate indicates India's economy is in poor shape