Tihar says no facility for paraplegic, murder accused gets bail
- Chhattisgarh: Amit Jogi versus Bhupesh Baghel is now tape versus tape
- Of Rs 71,000-cr in Mudra loans, government credit Rs 2,000 cr
- Bijnor: Woman brutally beats up mother-in-law, caught on CCTV
- 30 dead judges on longlist: How Akhilesh Yadav tried to handpick Lokayukta until SC cracked down
- Seeking transfer to Centre, DDCA probe chief alleges pressure
A man who is charged with the murder of his wife and child was granted bail on medical and humanitarian grounds by a city court on Wednesday.
Additional Sessions Judge Gurdeep Singh granted bail to Nitin Maini, a paraplegic after sustaining spinal injuries in a road accident.
Tihar Jail authorities referred Maini's bail application to the court saying he is bedridden and required constant care, which could not be provided in jail.
"Keeping in view the special circumstances of the case, I am of the opinion that the accused is entitled to bail," said ASJ Singh.
Maini needs assistance with all his basic daily needs, the court was told.
The prosecution opposed the bail plea on the ground that Maini is accused of double murder, but the court said his medical condition required round-the-clock assistance, entitling him to bail.
"The lack of proper medical attention led to bed sores developing on the body of my client. He is incapable of cleaning or dressing himself or moving without assistance," said Maini's advocate.
Maini's family said the jail authorities were not able to give him the attention he requires. The family had sent an application to the court, asking that Maini should either be provided a 24-hour attendant in jail or be transferred to a hospital for proper medical care.
"The jail hospital did not have the facilities or people to take care of my brother who has severe spinal injuries. I will probably have to take him to a hospital for treatment before we can take him home," said Maini's brother.
Police have alleged that Maini killed his wife and child in their sleep as he suspected his wife of adultery, after his accident. He has been in jail for nearly four months.
- Suspending dialogue after terrorist attack gives jihadis a veto over talks
- Bowie was an idol for everyone who didn’t know who they were, where they belonged
- Increase the stakeholders in the preservation of heritage
- A terror strike, a misdirected debate
- Mudra is a boon for small players
- Is bankruptcy code the first of a new trend?