Time magazine picks top 2012 moments, India's Sachin Tendulkar, graft in list
India's corruption woes, the Wisconsin Gurudwara shooting and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar's 100 centuries are among the top stories of 2012, according to a list compiled by Time magazine which chronicles the "highs and lows, the good and the bad" of the past year.
As the year draws to a close, Time condensed the "Top 10 Everything of 2012" in 55 wide-ranging lists on topics such arts and entertainment, pop culture, social media, science and space, sports, politics, business, technology and health.
India's corruption woes make it to the top 10 international news of 2012, which Time said has "not been a banner year for governance in the world's largest democracy."
Among the crime stories that made headlines in 2012 is the tragic Wisconsin gurudwara shooting, in which six Sikh persons were killed when white supremacist Wade Michael Page went on a shooting spree just as members of the community were preparing for Sunday prayers on the morning of August 5.
"The Sikh community, rather than shutting their temple down decided to clean and repair the building and continue worshipping there.
"Wade Michael Page may have staged his attack to shine a spotlight on himself and his racist ideology but, in spite of the carnage, the incident became an example of how ordinary heroism could shine in the face of a sudden onslaught of evil," Time said.
In the top 10 sports moments of the part year is Tendulkar's triumphant 100 centuries.
"Cricket's greatest-ever batsman added yet another incredible achievement to his already endless list of accomplishments by becoming the first player in history to score 100 scores of 100 or more runs for his country," Time said.
The 39-year-old master-blaster, in an earlier interview to Time, said he was in no hurry to retire and that he is enjoying the game, and thinks he has more to contribute.
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains
- Green campaign: Phoolka to ride cycle, Bittu talks of birds
- SUV driver hits car, tries to run over inspector at naka; cases registered
- Parties cash in on Sunday mood, star appeal for votes
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death