Time magazine picks top 2012 moments, India's Sachin Tendulkar, graft in list
- LIVE: Telangana bill tabled in Rajya Sabha amid uproar, marshals called in
- Supreme Court stays release of Rajiv Gandhi killers after Centre opposes Jayalalithaa's decision
- Rahul Gandhi's remark on Rajiv killers a drama to divert attention: Kumar Vishwas
- Soni Sori, ex-Infosys CFO V Bala join AAP
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination case forces adjournment of Parliament
As the year draws to a close, Time condensed the "Top 10 Everything of 2012" in 55 wide-ranging lists on topics such arts and entertainment, pop culture, social media, science and space, sports, politics, business, technology and health.
India's corruption woes make it to the top 10 international news of 2012, which Time said has "not been a banner year for governance in the world's largest democracy."
Among the crime stories that made headlines in 2012 is the tragic Wisconsin gurudwara shooting, in which six Sikh persons were killed when white supremacist Wade Michael Page went on a shooting spree just as members of the community were preparing for Sunday prayers on the morning of August 5.
"The Sikh community, rather than shutting their temple down decided to clean and repair the building and continue worshipping there.
"Wade Michael Page may have staged his attack to shine a spotlight on himself and his racist ideology but, in spite of the carnage, the incident became an example of how ordinary heroism could shine in the face of a sudden onslaught of evil," Time said.
In the top 10 sports moments of the part year is Tendulkar's triumphant 100 centuries.
"Cricket's greatest-ever batsman added yet another incredible achievement to his already endless list of accomplishments by becoming the first player in history to score 100 scores of 100 or more runs for his country," Time said.
The 39-year-old master-blaster, in an earlier interview to Time, said he was in no hurry to retire and that he is enjoying the game, and thinks he has more to contribute.
"I don't plan too far ahead, Iżve never done that," he told TIME in the summer.
"I believe in approaching my targets step by step, and don't look at the larger picture."
The Time lists include other news-worthy events like US President Barack Obama's re-election, Curiosity rover's landing on Mars, the scandal involving top CIA director David Petraeus and cyclist Lance Armstrong fall from grace in the wake of charges that the seven-time Tour de France winner used performance-enhancing drugs.
- LS polls: Cong playing wait-and-watch game in dozen-plus seats in state
- ‘Rs 2.3 cr spent on bungalow for former Prez, but that’s no loss to exchequer’
- 9 illegal immigrants working on Army premises nabbed
- BJP’s Saurashtra unit split wide open over former minister’s snub
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers
- The regressive state