Tired of ragging, engineering student jumps before local train, dies
- Sonia Gandhi attacks BJP ideology, says Country is at crossroads
- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi
A 19-year-old engineering student allegedly committed suicide by jumping before a local train after being fed up of ragging by his college-mates for the past two months, police said today.
The victim, Nitin Padalkar, ended his life by jumping before a running train at Kalyan railway station in the neighbouring Thane district on Friday evening, they said.
He has allegedly named two of his college-mates for harassing him in a suicide note, police said.
Padalkar, a second-year student of electronics and telecommunications at the Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology in Navi Mumbai, was depressed for quite sometime, police sources said.
Nitin left his house in Kalyan at around 6 pm on Friday saying that he was going to meet his friends. Later, his family got the news of his death at around 8.50 pm from police.
Based on the preliminary enquiry and the circumstances of the death, it is suspected that "Padalkar was a victim of ragging", police sources said.
"We will question two of his college-mates tomorrow," sources at Government Railway Police, Kalyan said.
- US panel wary of Modi rise
- Return pharmacists to drug stores, end queues: Govt
- Minority panel works on logo, structure to include Jains
- Festival makes performers of Assam’s politicians
- Child’s death in 1997: Delhi High Court upholds 4-yr jail for quack
- Orissa ponzi scam surpasses that of Bengal by Rs 2,140 cr