Tired of ragging, engineering student jumps before local train, dies
- 9 killed, over 40 injured as Bengaluru-Ernakulam Express train derails near Hosur
- SC says allegations grave, but grants relief to Teesta Setalvad in cheating case
- All you need to know about AAP's WiFi Delhi promise
- 19 killed as militants storm Shia mosque in Pakistan
- Modi’s cricket diplomacy: Renewing political contact with Pakistan
A 19-year-old engineering student allegedly committed suicide by jumping before a local train after being fed up of ragging by his college-mates for the past two months, police said today.
The victim, Nitin Padalkar, ended his life by jumping before a running train at Kalyan railway station in the neighbouring Thane district on Friday evening, they said.
He has allegedly named two of his college-mates for harassing him in a suicide note, police said.
Padalkar, a second-year student of electronics and telecommunications at the Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology in Navi Mumbai, was depressed for quite sometime, police sources said.
Nitin left his house in Kalyan at around 6 pm on Friday saying that he was going to meet his friends. Later, his family got the news of his death at around 8.50 pm from police.
Based on the preliminary enquiry and the circumstances of the death, it is suspected that "Padalkar was a victim of ragging", police sources said.
"We will question two of his college-mates tomorrow," sources at Government Railway Police, Kalyan said.