TMC for death penalty in certain rape cases
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
The Trinamool Congress in its suggestions to the Justice JS Verma committee formed by the UPA government for amending laws dealing with sexual assault cases will demand death sentence in certain cases of rape.
A senior Trinamool leader pleading anonymity said , "Our party chief Mamata Banerjee has told us to make the anti-rape laws stringent. And in our suggestion, we have stated that we support capital punishment in certain cases of rape."
The list of the suggestions by the Trinamool will be most likely send to the panel on Friday.
The party will also demand amendment in Section 354 of the IPC that deals with "outraging the modesty of women". "Since the Justice Verma Committee has been asked to look into several other aspects of crimes against women, we want the domestic violence to be included in the report," the Trinamool leader said.