TMC for death penalty in certain rape cases
- Tera Gurdip bach gaya: Indian on death row in Indonesia tells wife in phone call
- Pune building collapses, at least nine dead
- Mehbooba: Sacrifice of children won’t go waste; securitymen had no idea they were targeting Burhan
- 'Voodoo statistics!' P Chidambaram rejects Arun Jaitley's inflation remarks
- Senior Congress leader Capt Ajay Yadav to quit party
The Trinamool Congress in its suggestions to the Justice JS Verma committee formed by the UPA government for amending laws dealing with sexual assault cases will demand death sentence in certain cases of rape.
A senior Trinamool leader pleading anonymity said , "Our party chief Mamata Banerjee has told us to make the anti-rape laws stringent. And in our suggestion, we have stated that we support capital punishment in certain cases of rape."
The list of the suggestions by the Trinamool will be most likely send to the panel on Friday.
- The amended act legalises child labour while claiming to do the opposite
- The concept of private members’ bill is central to a deliberative democracy
- Mahasweta Devi drew imaginary landscapes to narrate stories of the oppressed
- With the latest figures on industrial output, the case for a stimulus is pressing
- An open letter to new students entering Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Irom Sharmila calling off her fast against the AFSPA reflects the state’s failure to engage