TMC for death penalty in certain rape cases
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
The Trinamool Congress in its suggestions to the Justice JS Verma committee formed by the UPA government for amending laws dealing with sexual assault cases will demand death sentence in certain cases of rape.
A senior Trinamool leader pleading anonymity said , "Our party chief Mamata Banerjee has told us to make the anti-rape laws stringent. And in our suggestion, we have stated that we support capital punishment in certain cases of rape."
The list of the suggestions by the Trinamool will be most likely send to the panel on Friday.
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- Telescope: From Fawad Khan to Kalki Koechlin, journeys to keep an eye on
- Shouldn’t weekly off day be a matter of choice, instead of being dictated by law?
- India’s search for alternatives to regional forum must quicken
- Struggle against caste system & capitalism are inextricably linked
- Power struggle within weakens Samajwadi Party already undergoing an identity crisis in UP