TMC leader accused of rape, police shy from filing FIR
- India to grow at 7.5 per cent in 2016, faster than China: IMF
- Lalu Yadav, Amit Shah booked for 'Narbhakshi', 'Chara chor' comments
- Nehru's niece returns Sahitya Akademi Award, questions PM's silence on 'reign of terror'
- Delhi MLAs may get 400 per cent hike in salary
- American Airlines plane makes emergency landing after pilot dies mid-flight
A Trinamool Congress member of a local panchayat in Jalpaiguri has been accused of raping a 36-year-old woman. However, the police have allegedly refused to file a complaint against the leader. The incident happened at Jharalta Gram in East Daukimoni in Jalpaiguri district.
On March 6, Nikhil Sarkar went to the victim's house and after finding her alone at home — her husband and son were out — allegedly raped her.
"When the woman went to Dhupguri police station to register a complaint, the police refused to do so and said they wouldn't be able to file the complaint as the accused belonged to the ruling party," said the victim's relative.
SP of Jalpaiguri, Amit P Javalgi, however said police have file a complaint of kidnapping "as the woman could not be found".
"As soon as she is found we will need her statement to initiate a rape case. Whether there had been a delay in taking a complaint by the local police officer, we will investigate into it, if we receive a complaint. As for now, we are only concentrating on this one. The accused will be arrested as soon as possible," he said, adding that the political affiliation of the accused was of no consequence.