TMC leader blames Railways, local administration for Allahabad stampede
- AAP govt sacks Delhi Food Minister Asim Ahmed over corruption charges
- Two Indians detained in Dubai and Saudi Arabia for terror links
- Nitish Kumar ups the ante against BJP, says Bihar will progress on its own efforts
- Man beheads wife; walks on Pune road with her head
- Tell us one place where Ganga is clean: NGT asks Centre
Former Union minister and Trinamool Congress leader Saugata Roy today blamed the Railways and the local administration for the death of 36 Kumbh pilgrims in stampede at Allahabad station.
Roy alleged that the Railways ran only 75 trains as against 150 trains it had earlier announced to ply on the occasion of "Mouni Amabasya", causing heavy rush of pilgrims at the station.
Moreover, the TMC alleged that the police lathicharged the pilgrims at the station, which "aggravated the situation" and resulted in the deaths and injuries.
"Both the Railways and the local administration were to blame for the inept handling of the situation leading to the tragedy," Roy told a TV channel.