TMC leader blames Railways, local administration for Allahabad stampede
- Navy Chief DK Joshi takes responsibility for spate of accidents, resigns
- TRS gives jitters to Congress post Telangana creation, says merger unlikely
- SC orders arrest of Sahara chief Subrata Roy, says âarms of court very longâ
- KLF terrorist Bhullar will not be executed in present health condition, Centre tells SC
- Paswan, who left NDA over Modi, signals tie-up with BJP for ânew optionâ
Former Union minister and Trinamool Congress leader Saugata Roy today blamed the Railways and the local administration for the death of 36 Kumbh pilgrims in stampede at Allahabad station.
Roy alleged that the Railways ran only 75 trains as against 150 trains it had earlier announced to ply on the occasion of "Mouni Amabasya", causing heavy rush of pilgrims at the station.
Moreover, the TMC alleged that the police lathicharged the pilgrims at the station, which "aggravated the situation" and resulted in the deaths and injuries.
"Both the Railways and the local administration were to blame for the inept handling of the situation leading to the tragedy," Roy told a TV channel.
- New UK norms may impact Indian bank operations
- Database on LSD users helps police nab drug supplier
- Delhi confidential: PAY UP TIME
- South Africa colts in final after Steyn’s protege mows down Australians
- Sluggish state auction exposes bond reform hurdles
- 5,500 auto-rickshaws to be given permits to ply in NCR