TMC members seek resignation of Justice Ganguly as WBHRC Chief
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- Senior Pakistan journalist Hamid Mir shot at in Karachi
- One dead in Odisha post-poll violence
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs KKR: DD beat KKR by four wickets
Trinamool Congress members on Tuesday made a strong demand in the Rajya Sabha for resignation of former Supreme Court Judge A K Ganguly, indicted in a sexual harassment case, from the post of West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) Chairman.
"It is not a political issue. The entire country is outraged... This is a serious issue which we have been seeing for the last three weeks," Derek O'Brien (Trinamool) said during Zero Hour.
"Men in position of power misuse their power and do everything to suppress the voice of the victim...This gentleman should resign, arrested or President should sack him," O'Brien said amid shouts of "shame shame".
He noted that a committee of three judges of Supreme Court has already said that it was inappropriate behaviour by the former judge.
The case, O'Brien said, involves people holding high position and Ganguly holds a high position as Chairman of WBNHRC.
"He has brought disgrace and we cannot even call him a Justice...Rules are very clear and he should be removed," he said.
His party colleague, Sukhendu Sekhar Roy said a large number of members across various parties supported the demand to remove the accused Justice.