TMC MP moves petition against ‘rivalry in state govt’
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Moving a petition against the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA) and the state government, Trinamool Congress MP and advocate Kalyan Banerjee today said that rivalry or disputes between departments of the same government cannot be accepted.
Banerjee was appearing for Riddhi Siddhi Mall Management PVT Limited, which filed a petition against KMDA and the state government over delay in getting lease rights for land in the Sealdah court area. The company is developing the area under public private partnership (PPP).
It was revealed during the arguments that the company did not get the lease right for the land because of a dispute between the land department, public works department and KMDA. "The government should be fair," Banerjee argued. "People are suffering because of such rivalry between departments of the same government."
In 2007, KMDA invited bids to develop the Sealdah court area under PPP model. Riddhi Siddhi secured the contract by quoting the highest bid. It developed the area and constructed a huge building, investing Rs 38 crore. Then it handed over the floors to shops owners and others according to the contract with the KMDA.
However, it was revealed during the hearing that the company had not got the lease right over the land for a long period. The company had requested the KMDA and the state government to settle the matter, but it was not done.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment