To boost numbers, Parsis to get free infertility treatment
- Dadri reminds us how PM Modi bears responsibility for the poison that is being spread
- Kill policemen, never commit suicide: Hardik tells Patel youth
- From Arvind Kejriwal to Rahul Gandhi: Who said what on Dadri lynching
- Forensic lab rules out drug overdose in Indrani Mukerjea case
- Bihar polls: After Nitish Kumar's remark, BJP promises free petrol for scooties
To check the dwindling Parsi population, the minority affairs ministry on Monday launched a four-year scheme which includes free infertility treatment for eligible members of the community.
According to the scheme, for which Rs 10 crore has been sanctioned under the 12th FiveYear Plan, Parsi organisations like the Bombay Parsi Panchayat, Parzor Foundation and local Anjumans will also be roped in to reach out to the community on the need to marry, refrain from family planning etc. No income bar has been set for availing of the free infertility treatment, and couples who already have a child will also be eligible.
"On the one hand, the country is trying to bring down the population... And here's one community which has made immense contributions but is slowly losing out because of a variety of reasons," said Minority Affairs Minister K Rehman Khan.